Sunday, April 16, 2006

Kayang Kaya ’To ng Librarian

Or What’s a Librarian Doing in a Game Show?
by Aldric Rodolfo Z. Gaerlan II (BLIS 2004)

Aldric Rodolfo Z. Gaerlan IIThe author with his partner, answering the
third question on "Eat Bulaga."

In life, some things come unexpectedly. How you react to them and what you do next are what’s important. Such was the case when I became a contestant in a game segment of a popular noontime TV show.

It all started on January 5, 2006. By that time, my contractual job as a library assistant at AIM in Makati had already ended and I was looking for a new one. After reading the newspapers (particularly the classified ads section), I watched "Eat Bulaga" on TV. When the telephone number for the show’s "Kaya Mo Ba 'To" portion was flashed, out of curiosity and probably because of a long-time desire to join a quiz show, I called and gave my name and contact information to the automated voice.

The following day, someone from TAPE (the show’s production outfit), called to say that the auditions for studio contestants were to be held on Saturday, January 7. There were around twenty-four of us who auditioned. We were informed that the test would be graded not only on correct answers, but also on how the contestant reacts to time pressure. They also mentioned that we would be informed within one month if we would be accepted as contestants.

When I got home, I told my family about what transpired. All the while, I was unsure whether I would be accepted or not. "Ay matagal pa pala," was my family’s reaction when I told them I would know if I would be a contestant within a month. But that Sunday evening after Mass, I received a text message saying I was chosen as a contestant for Monday, January 9. I called TAPE and was told to wear semi-formal attire and bring a copy of my birth certificate and valid ID.

The contest itself was not what got me tense. Rather, it was waiting for almost two and a half hours that did. What eased the tension was talking to my fellow contestants. There was no real rivalry between the eight of us. Rather, we got along pretty well and agreed that the pair who would get the grand prize (or the highest) would treat everyone to lunch.

I almost thought I would not make it past the first round when my opponent gave several answers but fell short of the required number. I had a chance to advance to the next round when I provided an answer not given previously. Thankfully, it was correct and I advanced to the next round with three others.

I was paired with another contestant in the second round, where we had to guess seven words being acted out. While the other pair had their turn, my partner and I were in an isolation booth wearing earphones. With a celebrity (Julia Clarete) acting out the words for us, we were to guess seven college courses. I identified the last course (Fine Arts) correctly, which our opponents failed to do. We got all seven correct answers, our opponents got six.

At the final round, my partner and I agreed that if either of us had the correct answer, we would go with that. If not, we’d go with whose guess was closest. To win the jackpot, we had to give three correct answers out of five. I answered the first question incorrectly, but made up for it by answering the next question correctly. My partner got the third question. We needed just one more correct answer.

For the last question, my answer was Manuel Roxas, the first president of the Philippines from Region 6. We were a bit tense, as one more mistake would mean that we would not get the grand prize. But I was right. And the rest was history. We were the first "Kaya Mo Ba 'To" jackpot (PhP 500,000) winners for 2006.

We met outside after the other contestants acquired their prizes. (My partner and I could only claim our prizes at a later date due to company policy). As agreed, my partner and I treated everybody to lunch.

When I got home, calls and text messages were coming in, even from friends and relatives we hardly ever heard from. Reactions varied. My maternal grandmother in Canada believed I could win big because of my "brains." My paternal grandmother, who prayed while watching the show, said I was the most handsome among the contestants! A cousin of my Mom from Nueva Ecija commented that I should try my luck at "Starstruck" because of my looks.

What did I do with the prize? After claiming it two weeks later, I used some of it to buy a new PC for family use and donated a portion for the renovation of our parish church. The remainder went to a savings account for personal use.

As of this writing, I'm still looking for a job. Right now I am considering either a library-related job or one that involves teaching. And perhaps, join other game shows on the side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home