Sunday, April 16, 2006

Eulogy by Ricardo L. Punzalan

Assistant Professor, Institute of Library and Information Science

We all know that deciding to become a librarian is a choice that requires large amounts of devotion, passion and dedication to information service. Dean Cruz was a practicing librarian at the Main Library for many years before she decided to join the ILIS faculty. And this makes her special. It is as if librarianship is not enough service that she devoted her most productive years to teaching the future of our profession.

Ma'am Vina was a professor who strictly checked attendance and tardiness. And her classes were normally held in the morning. If she's your program adviser she will never allow you to enlist without completing your INC's or remove your 4's. I remember her telling me that there is wisdom behind every university rule and following them is our contribution towards ensuring the quality of our graduates.

Ma'am Vina may be strict, but she was also kind and humane. She knew when to observe the rules and when to apply certain exceptions. I remember one time when I came to class late and sneaked in a bottle of Coke. Of course she called my attention. With my rebellious and sometimes impertinent nature, I answered back. I said, "Ma'am please 'wag nyo na akong sermonan ng ganito kaaga, hindi pa nga ako nag-aalmusal at Coke lang ang nakayanan ko." And she replied, smiling, "Very well, finish your drink and proceed with the class exercise." She taught me that the best response to aggression is kindness.

My lowest grade ever in any of my LIS subjects, I received from Ma'am Vina. Yet, she convinced me that I could be a productive member of the ILIS faculty. As a senior colleague and boss at the Institute, she had a tireless mentoring spirit, especially when it comes to university rules and procedures and how I should relate with my students and colleagues. Most of all, she was a friend and a mother who showed genuine concern and appreciation of what I can do. Despite our age gap, I feel comfortable to be with her. She gave me numerous advice, including those bordering on personal concerns such as how I could manage my finances more responsibly.

When I heard about her sickness about three years ago, I opened up to her and expressed my fear of what might happen to her. She said why should I be worried when she herself is not at all afraid of what God had in store for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home