Sunday, April 16, 2006

Eulogy by Sergio S. Cao

Chancellor, University of the Philippines Diliman

Dean Divina Pascua-Cruz was instrumental in my decision to accept the nomination for Chancellor of UP Diliman.

First, Vina, together with the faculty of the Institute of Library and Information Science, was the first to send a nomination for me for the Chancellorship, way ahead of the others and without asking me first! I remember that I was at the National Kidney Institute for my mother’s check-up when VP Gregorio called me to say Dean Divina has submitted a nomination for me. VP Mart actually said, "Sikat ka na, na-nominate ka ng pinakamalaking kolehiyo sa UP Diliman!"

Secondly, at a time when I was unsure about accepting the nomination, Vina, as was her usual practice, would send me encouragements and assurances of support and prayers! I remember that Vina sent me a verse from the Old Testament, from Jeremiah 29:11—"'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord; plans of welfare and not of calamity, to give you an expected end."

So I would like to publicly acknowledge Vina’s role in my decision to accept the nomination for Chancellorship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home